Mrs. Karen Thorsten
has been a teacher at SJAS since 1995. She has taught
Pre-Kindergarten, Phy-Ed, Computer, 1st grade, 4th grade, and is now teaching Kindergarten.
Mrs. Thorsten attended St. Cloud
State University. She and her husband, Chad, live in Foley with
their three children, Emma, Logan and Liz. Mrs. Thorsten
enjoys riding bike, scrapbooking, and taking pictures. She is a
graduate of SJAS!
Mrs. Thorsten received the LEEA (Leadership in Educational
Excellence Award) in 2004 and became a Seesaw Ambassador in 2017. Mrs. Thorsten has also
been Barton trained in 2017. Barton is a wonderful tutoring system for individuals
who struggle with spelling, reading, and writing due to dyslexia
or a learning disability.
- Reading – We will be working with
each letter sound. As we learn each sound, we will begin to put the sounds together to form
words, which begin the reading and writing process.
Registered parents, click here to log in to the Super Kids Reading Program.
- Math – We will work on counting,
measuring, comparing groups, telling time and introduce addition and subtraction.
- Religion – We will talk about
God’s world and how much we are loved.
- Social/Science – We will explore our
Other Things to
- Check home folder each night for papers
- Classroom newsletters will be sent home on Fridays.
- We will go to mass on Wednesdays. During the year, we will have
the opportunity to help with mass parts.
- We will go to the library to check out books each week.
- We will have music class once a week and enjoy music with movement
in our classroom daily.
- We will have Phy Ed three times a week. Please make sure your child
has tennis shoes for Phy Ed.
- We will go to computer class twice a week. We also use computers and/or
iPads in our classroom daily.
- We go to recess twice a day.