4th grade: Mrs. Thorsten
Mrs. Karen Thorsten
has been a teacher at SJAS since 1995. She has taught
Pre-Kindergarten, Phy-Ed, Computer, 1st grade, Kindergarten, and is now teaching
4th grade. Mrs. Thorsten attended St. Cloud
State University. She and her husband, Chad, live in Foley with
their three children, Emma, Logan and Liz. Mrs. Thorsten
enjoys riding bike, scrapbooking, and taking pictures. She is a
graduate of SJAS!
Mrs. Thorsten received the LEEA (Leadership in Educational
Excellence Award) in 2004 and became a Seesaw Ambassador in 2017. Mrs. Thorsten has also
been Barton trained in 2017. Barton is a wonderful tutoring system for individuals
who struggle with spelling, reading, and writing due to dyslexia
or a learning disability.
About the Classroom
- Math: place value, multiplication and division,
fractions, measurement, geometric shapes, graphing
- Science: Simple Machines, Water Cycle, Matter, Rocks and Minerals, Energy, Electricity
- Social Studies: Regions of America, geography,
maps and globes
- Reading: Read for meaning in varied literary
forms and novel units
- English: Increase writing skills in various
Other Things to Know
- E-mail, planners, and Remind (Texting Service) will be used for
communication and checked consistently
- AR Expectations: Students will be required to read two chapter books
and one non-fiction book in their reading level per quarter.
The students need to pass the AR tests
with 80% or higher to get the points for reading the book. The students
will be allowed 1 quit book, which means if they are not enjoying a book
they have chosen they can choose a different book. Also, the class will be
earning AR points together in order to earn different awards.